Thursday, September 11, 2008

Too impatient to learn about particle physics?

In my estimation, that sucks. If this is the case, however, then this tiny blog post may contain all the information you'll ever be interested in learning! See, I've included a very interesting and accurate music video featuring great lyrics (and cheesy delivery) by Alpinekat, in order to give you a sense of what particle physicists are up to!
` Not to mention, it's a hoot despite the fact that it's educational! If you feel intimidated by all this, I understand, which is why I've provided a few notes:

The most important thing; we don't know what 96% of the universe is made of, and that's what particle physicists are trying to figure out! That's exciting, isn't it? More notes below:




The Large Hadron Collider is ginormous - a 17-mile underground circle through which protons are blasted through at speeds so high that when they smash together the energy turns into real honest-to-goodness particles, with mass and everything!
` One particle is matter, while the other is antimatter - but when they meet, they balance each other out like numbers in a math equation and become zero again. In other words, they 'undo' one another and disappear into the vacuum!

Strange as that sounds, it's pretty commonplace. The question is; how is it that the matter in this universe was not all canceled out by antimatter? Why were not all matter particles canceled out by their antimatter twin? Where did the antimatter go?
` While we're at it, where's the Higgs boson, which, in theory, is the reason mass exists at all? If it doesn't, it'll be back to the drawing boards. And another thing; why is gravity so weak? Is it being pulled into other dimensions? Questions, questions!

And just so y'all know, if you're worried about scientists creating a black hole in the Large Hadron Collider anytime soon, it's cool; any black holes that could perceivably be created would be so tiny they wouldn't have an effect on anything.
` Black holes are destructive because they have a huge amount of mass in a small area. That's not possible when you're working with tiny particles. In fact, it is very doubtful that even a microscopic black hole could ever form in the LHC, and if it did, it would immediately be overpowered by the other forces in its immediate surroundings and dissipate right away.

In other news, I went to help finish remodeling another potential location for my lab. However, about three hours ago, one of my five roommates got splattered by a noxious chemical, freaked out, ran off, and we haven't seen her since! I hope she has not been eaten by any of the questionable creatures living in the area, or worse, killed by the noxious chemical....
` So, you ask, what am I doing here, dictating blog posts to MAL instead of going out looking for the girl?
Ironically, I do have an invention that could track her down... if only she were wearing the tracking device! But don't worry; two of the menfolk are now on the case, so it's only a matter of time before she comes back. We hope.

Update, 2 hours later: She just walked in the door. Apparently, she went off to someone's house, though nobody who knew bothered to call me and tell me this.

7 comments:

Devotee said...

My favorite part is the Stephen Hawking-esque voice rapping.

I'm not big on rap, but that was funny.

Unknown said...

Amazingly, I have seen that video before. Don't remember where.

Spoony Quine said...

I'm glad you enjoyed, Devotee. And Nick, that is amazing that you've seen it. Maybe it's more popular than I had previously thunk?

Unknown said...

Now I remember: I saw that video on Jennifer’s blog that comes from the UK.

Kingcover said...

Gee whizz scientists sure can get down and dirty and dance! I haven't seen dancing like that for a very long time ..... was funny though :-)
I'll be back, unless of course I get swallowed up by a black hole!

Anonymous said...

Update: The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) *might* be engaging in the afore-mentioned article; however, it only has made one clockwise run with the beam, and one counterclockwise run with the beam. Then they shut it down due to a malfunction, and it won't be up again until 2009 (date pending). It is stated on the LHC internet group that it will take nine months to one year for the LHC to reach "full capacity." So don't expect any "bosons" yet...lol.

Spoony Quine said...

Thanks, Anonymous! Indeed, I have by now also heard that LHC must be shut down - taking weeks to drain the helium out first - and then it must undergo winter maintenance before its reopening in the spring.
` I'm onto you particle physicists and your wily ways!1